Transitional Housing at Sheung On Street, Chai Wan

Sheung On Street, Chai Wan

In order to respond to the housing needs of the grassroots, the Society for Community Organization (SoCO) applied to lease a piece of land on Sheung On Street, Chai Wan, near Tsui Wan Estate and Tsui Lok Estate from the government in the form of a five-year short-term lease for this project development. The project is the first MiC transitional housing on Hong Kong Island in Hong Kong that will be completed by the end of 2023 at the earliest, providing a total of 103 units, including 102 one- to two-person family units and one barrier-free unit. Each unit has an independent kitchen and toilet, and with window to ensure sufficient ventilation and light. 


Residents of subdivided housing at the grassroots level will be given priority in the recruitment targets. 80% of the places will be allocated to applicants who have been waiting for public housing for three years, and the remaining 20% will be applicants who have been waiting for public housing for less than three years or who have housing needs. It is expected that there will be about 210 applicants with urgent housing needs benefit on the project.

Highlights on Current Status

Works after Module Installation

Project Current Status

Under Construction

No. of MiC Modules


CFA (m²)


MiC CFA (m²)


Total Storeys


MiC Storeys


Construction Cycle of Typical MiC Floor (@ Day Cycle)


Construction Commencement Date

Q4 2022

Year of Completion

Q1 2024



Main Contract Commencement

Q4 2022

Module Installation

Q3 - Q4 2023

Date of Completion

Q1 2024

    The information contained in this page has been authorised being uploaded.



    The CIC does not warrant or guarantee the accuracy and suitability of the information contained in this page in any particular case.  The CIC disclaims all liabilities for any loss or damage to any person arising from or as a consequence of the use of or reliance on any information contained in or omitted from this page

Last Updated: 10.01.2024 13:56:31

Adopting MiC to Build Light Public Housing (LPH) to Expedite Housing Supply

The Policy Address 2022 announced the construction of LPH. The LPH Scheme is led by the Architectural Services Department with the adoption of MiC. The Housing Bureau has selected eight sites in Tuen Mun, Yuen Long, Ma On Shan, Kai Tak, Ngau Tau Kok and Chai Wai, providing around 30,000 LPH units. The construction period takes only one to two years. Each units equipped with self-contained toilet and basic facilities such as water heater and air-con. The first batch of around 2,100 units will be completed in 2024-25 and the remaining units will be completed by phases in 2025-26 and 2026-27, so as to shorten the waiting time of public housing.