Shortens Construction Time
- Saves total project construction time by about 30% on average
- Shortens the production period by constructing different modules in parallel in the factory
- Reduces impacts of adverse weather conditions on the construction period
Improves Working Environment & Site Safety
- Protects workers against adverse weather
- Reduces risk of fall of persons from height
- Reduces risk of slipping and tripping of site personnel
Sustainability and Environmental Friendliness
- Reduces dust and noise nuisance to the surrounding environment
- Minimises construction waste
- Improves construction waste management
High Construction Quality
- Improves construction accuracy
- Facilitates quality control through mass production of pre-tested prototype modules
- Minimises errors in construction
- Improves management of stored materials
- Enhances production management in a controlled factory environment
- Provides flexibility in project scheduling
The Construction Innovation and Technology Fund (CITF), with an approved allocation of HK$1 billion, was established by the Development Bureau of the Government of Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (DEVB) in October 2018. The Construction Industry Council (CIC) is commissioned by DEVB to be the implementation partner.
The CITF covers two aspects, namely technology adoption and manpower development. The former aims to encourage the industry to use new but proven technologies developed within or outside Hong Kong. The latter aims to build an innovative culture and foster the mind-set to espouse new technologies for the sustainable development and continuous improvement of the construction industry.
MiC is one of the categories under technology adoption, providing incentives for consultants and contractors to widely adopt MiC in the construction projects of Hong Kong. Please click here to learn the details.
New Isolation Facilities in Hong Kong
In view of the 5th wave of the COVID-19, new isolation facilities and Pop-up Community Vaccination Centres were built by MiC and DfMA with full speed. Eight Community Isolation Facilities projects from China State Construction International providing over 50,000 isolation beds. Supported by the Central Government, the Lok Ma Chau Loop Hospital for Emergency was completed in April 2022. Meanwhile, two MiC transitional housing projects were used as community isolation facilities, providing more than 2,500 units.