By the use of MiC structure with DfMA fitout, the "Huoshenshan" Hospital in Wuhan, as one of the emergency hospitals, was built in only ten days by the local government in response to severe outbreak of Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) in Wuhan. After handover, the hospital officially started accepting patients of Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) in the morning on 3 February 2020.
- Contractor: China State Construction Engineering Corporation (CSCEC)
- Number of storey: 2
- 33,940 sqm construction area
- Unit size: 100 ft² (can hold 2 beds)
- No. of MiC modules: 1800
- Facilities including 1000 beds, ICU, Negative Pressure Wards, Patient Wards, Consultation Rooms, Medical Equipment Rooms etc.
- Project Construction Period: 10 days (24/1/2020 – 2/2/2020)
2021 Policy Address
The Chief Executive issues the 2021 Policy Address on October 7, 2021. It mentions the government will continue to implement “Construction 2.0” so as to uplift the productivity and skill level of the sector. Wider use of I&T and Modular Integrated Construction (MiC) will also be promoted to shorten construction time, reduce manpower and enhance safety in construction sites. Moreover, in order to increase and speed up the housing supply, the HKHA and the Hong Kong Housing Society (HKHS) will adopt the MiC and other innovative construction technology more widely. The HKHA will also adopt a new procurement model to suitable projects to allow contractors to undertake design and construction in a bundle. It is hoped that these measures can further optimise and speed up the construction process.